Not quite Woody

Don and I took our lunch on a nature trail yesterday, looking for animals to shoot … photographically, of course. We tried to move along the trail quietly so as not to disturb and frighten-off our quarry. So there we were, standing on the trail, looking around us when this incredibly loud pecking erupted from above us. I was startled, to put it mildly. Looking up, we saw this lovely read-head. As near as I can tell from the various birdwatching sites on the Web, it’s a yellow-bellied sapsucker. Yes, that’s a real bird rather than a name made up to sound funny.

20120413-125142 5D3 4M6C0211.CR2: 5D Mk.III, EF 400mm 1:5.6L @ 1/1250, f/5.6, 400 ISO

File: 20120413-125142 5D3 4M6C0211.CR2
EXIF: 5D Mk.III, EF 400mm 1:5.6L @ 1/1250, f/5.6, 400 ISO

When it started pecking again, the forest paparazzi were out in full force as shutters clacked in continuous mode trying to capture its staccato movement. As shown here, its head is back, primed for a peck.

This entry was posted in animals, show and tell. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

7 Comments

1. _Don
    Posted April 14, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Nice! I have virtually the same shot. Probably at the same moment. My date stamp is a mere 40 seconds sooner. :-)

• Rick
      Posted April 14, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

40 seconds? It probably was the same instant, because you mentioned your camera’s time was nearly a minute different than mine.

We should get out there again sometime…

2. Shawn
    Posted April 15, 2012 at 9:47 am | Permalink

awesome pic!!!

• Rick
      Posted April 15, 2012 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Thank Shawn! I appreciate it.

3. Brent
    Posted April 26, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

I’m sure there was an episode of Gilligan’s Island where he sees a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker. He would be proud of you both!!

4. Jessica
    Posted May 4, 2012 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

Wow. You can pay for your nifty new camera by selling your shots to Canadian Geographic! Seriously. They have photo contests at least annually.

• Rick
      Posted May 5, 2012 at 12:37 am | Permalink

I’ve never been a fan of photo contests. You usually have to give them non-exclusive rights to submissions, in perpetuity. That’s just too good a deal for them to have me go along!